It used to be easy for the establishment to demonise Tommy Robinson: white & working class. He even has tattoos.
He is now widely-admired now millions have seen his videos or Twitter profile and decided he’s actually quite a nice chap.
The government, however, keeps churning out its propaganda about him.
The government’s PREVENT programme seeks to tackle extremism—Islamic terrorists through to ‘the far right’. Open Your Eyes to Hate is one of the Home Office’s PREVENT websites which seeks to counter ‘right wing’ bogeymen like Mr Robinson.
Reading an article published on their website shortly after the Westminster attack shows that this narrative no longer works:
But while London united, Tommy Robinson (former leader of the EDL and now mouthpiece for Pegida UK) tried to use yesterday’s horrific attack for his own gains. It seems he spied an opportunity to drive us further apart…
Extract the messages:
- Tommy Robinson exploited the terror attacks for his own ends.
- Tommy Robinson exploited the terror attack to drive the community apart.
- Tommy Robinson was in bad taste to discuss the attack whilst ambulances tended the injured.
- Tommy Robinson is far right.
- Tommy Robinson’s politics are vile and divisive.
- The whole of the UK was appalled with Tommy Robinson.
Rebel Media Version
Unfortunately for PREVENT, Rebel Media covered this story as well.
Which is True?
Let us accept, like the Home Office, that there is no such thing as objective reality; truth is decided by whatever the dominant narrative happens to be.
So which narrative is more popular; which narrative is the most true:
- Tommy Robinson: 24856 likes, shares and comments on Facebook. 1.5 million views.
- Home Office: 523 likes, shares and comments on Facebook.
- It’s clear why the government want to stifle dissenting voices: they’re being trounced in the narrative war.
- Until the government controls social media, it will not control the truth